Sunday, April 11, 2010

Seriously...I Saved THAT?

I've moved a few times in my life. From the time I was 20 until now I have moved a total of 18 times. I know this because I just sat down with a piece of paper and went through the whole thing and even I am amazed at the number of times. So here I sit on the verge of at least another 2 moves before we get settled after the foreclosure. I bring this up because on Saturday I spent several hours in my storage facility in Malden going through all my STUFF. I gotta tell ya, I have stuff going back to move number 1 from Malden to St Petersburg Florida in 1987. While I don't consider myself a pack rat, I do have an abnormally high "sentimental" attachment to certain things like letters, cards, cd rom drives, empty phone boxes, girlie stuffed animals (obviously ex girlfriends must have left them in my apartments…pffft) and copies of Windows 3.11 for Workgroups. I had to make a decision on everything in that bin, "Do I need it or not?" So began my quest…

Surprisingly the choices I had to make were simple. I must have gone through 4 or 5 boxes before I saved anything. The deeper I got the more I realized I had a SERIOUS F'IN PROBLEM with throwing shit away. I guess at the time I felt I needed to remember the past because I wasn't to invested in the present or the future. My life is completely different now and the past isn't as important as it once was. Once I got past that feeling it was so easy to throw stuff in the trash pile.

Photos were the top thing I saved, that's completely understandable…although I did trash some photos of me and an ex-girlfriend when I was living in Washington State. It's not because I had any hard feelings towards her, the photos were us hugging, laying together on a couch at Christmas time and the like. I took them in one last time and said a brief but fond farewell to the flesh..er photos (CANDYMAN, CANDYMAN….who dares me?).

I'll return to the bin later this week to go through the rest of the boxes and with any luck I'll be able stop renting the storage bin once and for all.

My psoriasis is clearing up nicely with the meds. Another few days to get through the itchy phase and by Thursday I will be on a maintenance plan of application ever third day instead of daily.. WHOOOO! Wish I could say the same for the bursitis but I still have a few days to go for the meds to kick in.

Still no call back from the two friends I called last week. I officially stopped wiling my phone to ring.

Lastly, I walked 8 miles today which is my longest walk since I did the Walk For Hunger 12 years ago. Mentally I started off with a goal of 5 miles. When I hit the 2.5 mile mark I didn't feel like turning around yet. As I approached the 5k (3.1 miles) I didn't feel like slowing down so at just shy of 4 miles I decided to turn back towards home. It was a gorgeous day for a walk and given my life as of late, my body will definitely make use of the added movement to release those much needed endorphins. Here's to tomorrow and another 8 miles….or more…

Thanks to all those who have subscribed to this blog!!!!!

PAK

No comments:

Post a Comment